2020-2022 Catalog Volume XXX Ver 3
2020-2022 Catalog Volume XXX Ver 3
2020-2022 Catalog Volume XXX Version 3
Main Campus - 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37909
Parkside Learning Site - 400 Goody’s Lane, Knoxville, Tennessee 37922
Asheville Learning Site - 140 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville, North Carolina 28803
Nashville Learning Site - 616 Marriott Drive, Nashville, Tennessee 37214
Atlanta Learning Site - 2600 Century Parkway NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30345
Indianapolis Learning Site - 301 Pennsylvania Parkway, Indianapolis, IN 46280
Orlando Learning Site - 4901 Vineland Rd, Suite 140, Orlando, FL 32811
This catalog is an information book and reference guide for the institution’s academic programs, courses, policies, and procedures. Students are subject to the rules and regulations of the current catalog regardless of their original quarter of enrollment. The catalog, or any subsidiary handbook, is not intended as a contract between the student and the institution. This catalog is available online at www.south.edu. Alternative formats of this publication are available upon request. For more information, contact the Department of Admissions.
While the provisions of this catalog will ordinarily be applied as stated, the college reserves the right to change any provision/contents listed in this catalog, including but not limited to, academic requirements for graduation, without actual notice to individual students. Every effort will be made to keep students advised of any changes. Information on changes will be available in the office of the Registrar. It is especially important that students note that it is their responsibility to keep apprised of current graduation requirements for their particular program.
All academic information in this catalog applies to all South College campuses unless stated otherwise.
Additional specific information and policies relating to particular programs not included in the catalog can be found in the handbooks for these programs, which may be obtained from the Program Director or Dean/Chair for the program.
Each term a Schedule of Classes is made available to students. The Schedule includes all courses to be offered during the term, as well as times and locations. Not all courses listed in the catalog are offered each term. Students should be aware that courses may be offered in a variety of combined instructional modalities including (but not limited to) onground, online, blended/hybrid, and clinical/internship/externship/practicum/fieldwork/student teaching formats. Some programs may have limited program delivery options. Please see your Academic Advisor for additional information.
South College is an equal opportunity college open to any qualified individual without regard to race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability. Pursuant to all applicable federal anti-discrimination laws, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and regulations, South College does not discriminate against any of the protected categories of individuals in the administration of policies, programs, or activities. This nondiscrimination policy includes admission policies, loan programs, employment practices, and all other college-administered programs. The following individuals are charged with ensuring South College’s compliance with these laws:
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Main Campus & Parkside Campus) 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, TN 37909, Phone: (865) 293-4576;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Asheville Campus), 140 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville, NC 28803, Phone: (828) 398-2566;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Nashville Campus), 616 Marriott Drive, Suite 550, Nashville, TN 37214, Phone: (629) 802-3000;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Atlanta Campus), 2600 Century Parkway NE, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA 30345, Phone (470) 322-1200;
- Dean of Academics Online (Online), 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, TN 37909, Phone (912) 272-8256;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Indianapolis Campus), 301 Pennsylvania Pkwy., Indianapolis, IN 46280, Phone (317) 819-7900;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Orlando Campus), 4901 Vineland Rd., Suite 140, Orlando, FL 32811, Phone (407) 447-6900
Summary of Catalog Updates:
- 8/4/22: Curriculum updates were made to the Business Administration, MBA program.
- 7/27/22: The Nursing, BS program is now offered at the Indianapolis Campus.
- 7/26/22: The Public Health, MPH program was added.
- 7/26/22: Course descriptions for EDU 3060 , EDU 4060 , and EDU 4070 were updated.
- 7/26/22: Curriculum updates were made to the Elementary Education (K-5) Initial Licensure, MEd program.
- 7/21/22: Curriculum updates were made to the Network Administration & Security, AS , Information Technology Management, MS , Computer Science, BS , and Cybersecurity, MS programs.
- 7/7/22: The Healthcare Administration, MHA program was added.
- 7/6/22: The Business Administration, DBA program was added with specialties in Accounting, Healthcare Administration, and Organizational Leadership.
- 6/13/22: Course descriptions were updated for DPT 6530 , DPT 6720 , and DPT 6820 .
- 5/25/22: The Surgical Technology, AS (Asheville & Knoxville) program curriculum was updated for the Asheville & Knoxville campuses.
- 5/23/22: The Education, EdD with a specialty in Educational Leadership was added.
- 3/21/22: Accreditation information for the Certificate in Medical Assisting program offered at the Atlanta campus was updated. See Accreditation and Authorizations .
- 3/21/22: Admission requirements for the Surgical Technology, AS (Asheville & Knoxville) , Surgical Technology, Certificate were updated.
- 3/14/22: General Undergraduate Admission Requirements have been updated in the Admissions section.
- 3/8/22: A curriculum change pertaining to the required pre-requisite courses for the Dental Hygiene, AS program, effective Spring 2022 Quarter, was made.
- 2/28/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Business Administration, Health Care Administration Concentration, BBA (Asheville, Knoxville, Nashville, Online) program. The total credits of the program increased to 181.5 credits.
- 2/24/22: A curriculum change to update the Pre-Calculus course (previously MAT2550) to MAT 2551 was made to the following programs: Health Science (Pre-Pharmacy), AS , Health Science, BS ,Computer Science, BS (all concentrations), Cybersecurity, BS , and Electrical Engineering Technology, BS .
- 2/24/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Physical Therapist Assistant, AS program, which included a revision to the required pre-requisite courses to include a Psychology elective course.
- 2/22/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Nursing, Nursing Practice Degree with Concentration in Nurse Executive, DNP and Nursing, Nursing Practice with Concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner, DNP
- 2/1//22: Curriculum changes were made to the Electrical Engineering Technology, AS and Electrical Engineering Technology, BS programs.
- 2/17/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration, Accelerated RN-MS Track and Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration, BS-MS Track programs.
- 2/17/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Nursing, Nurse Executive Concentration, Accelerated RN-MS Track and Nursing, Nurse Executive Concentration, BS-MS Track programs.
- 2/2/22: Curriculum changes were made to the Physician Assistant Studies, MHS (Knoxville/Atlanta) program.
- 1/24/22: The Nursing, Nursing Practice Degree (MSN Entry) program was added to the catalog.
- 1/14/22: The following new programs were added to the Catalog: Nurse Executive (Post-Grad), Certificate and Family Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate .
- 1/3/22: The following new programs were added to the Catalog: Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate , Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care (Post-Grad), Certificate , and Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate .
- 12/29/21: The following new programs were added to the Catalog: Nursing, Nursing Practice Degree with Concentration in Nurse Anesthesia, DNP and Nursing, Post-Doctoral Certificate in Nurse Anesthesia, PDC .
- 12/10/21: Minimum requirements for admissions were updated for the Nursing, MS program, including all concentrations.
- 10/26/21: Effective Fall 2021 Quarter, SCC 1010 College Management was added as a required course to the curriculum for the Health Science, Radiography Concentration, BS , Radiography, AS , Diagnostic Medical Sonography, AS , Health Science, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Concentration, BS (Asheville) , and Health Science, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Concentration, BS (Knoxville, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Nashville) programs.
- 10/25/21: A course update (addition of CST 2199 & removal of CST 1051) was made to the Software Developer, Certificate program.
- 10/19/21: Updated contact information added to the Sexual Harassment (Title IX) Policy in the Student Services section.
- 10/18/21: The Immunization Requirements in the Admissions section was updated.
- 9/24/21: The 2021-2022 Tuition and Fee Table was updated in the Financial Information section. Information relating to the Orlando Learning Site was added including state licensure information, refund policy identification, grievance procedures, and programs offered at this site.
- 9/20/21: The Surgical Technology, AS (Asheville & Knoxville) program’s CAAHEP accreditation status was updated in the Accreditation and Authorizations section. The Medical Assisting, Certificate (Nashville) program’s accreditation status was updated in the Accreditation and Authorizations section.
- 8/24/21: The Dental Hygiene, AS program’s CODA accreditation status was updated in the Accreditation and Authorizations section.
- 8/12/21: The Information Technology Specialist, Certificate program was added.
- 7/23/21: Readmissions Policies were updated for the Dental Hygiene, AS program.
- 7/22/21: School of Physician Assistant Studies (Knoxville & Atlanta) pre-requisite course change for class admitted Fall 2022, See School of Physician Assistant Studies .
- 7/13/21: The Electrical Engineering Technology, BS program was added to the catalog.
- 6/30/21: The Accounting, MS program was added to the catalog.
- 6/16/21: The Academic Progression and Retention in the PTA Major section of the Physical Therapist Assistant, AS program was revised to remove the test average requirement.
- 6/10/21: Curriculum updates were made to the Pharmacy, PharmD program that is effective for students entering Summer 2021 or later.
- 6/10/21: Curriculum updates were made to the Computer Science, BS program.
- 6/3/21: Admission requirements updated for the Health Science (Post-PTA), BS program.
- 6/1/21: Course descriptions were updated for RAD 1345 , RAD 1355 & RAD 1455 .
- 5/19/21: The Social Science requirement in the Dental Hygiene, BS program has been changed from a Sociology elective to allow any Social Science elective to be chosen.
- 5/18/21: Required observation hours for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant, AS program changed to sixteen (16) hours.
- 5/13/21: Curriculum updates were made to the Information Technology, AS , Information Technology, BS , and Data Science, Certificate programs.
- 5/6/21: Course number change (NSG1125 to NSG1126) applied to the Practical Nursing, Certificate (Atlanta) .
- 5/4/21: Admission requirement of interviewing with Program Director is no longer required for the Ministry, Doctor and Ministry, Master programs.
- 4/28/21: Complaint and Grievance Procedures and Appeal Process sections updated. See Student Services .
- 4/1/21: School of Physician Assistant Studies (Knoxville & Atlanta) pre-requisite course change for class admitted Fall 2021, See School of Physician Assistant Studies .