2023-2025 Catalog Volume XXXI Ver 1
2023-2025 Catalog Volume XXXI Ver 1
2023-2025 Catalog Volume XXXI Version 1
Main Campus - 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37909
Parkside Learning Site - 400 Goody’s Lane, Knoxville, Tennessee 37922
Asheville Learning Site - 140 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville, North Carolina 28803
Nashville Learning Site - 616 Marriott Drive, Nashville, Tennessee 37214
Atlanta Learning Site - 2600 Century Parkway NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30345
Indianapolis Learning Site - 301 Pennsylvania Parkway, Indianapolis, IN 46280
Orlando Learning Site - 6649 Westwood Blvd., Orlando, FL 32811
Pittsburgh Learning Site - 3000 Westinghouse Drive, Suite 200, Cranberry Township, PA 16066
This catalog is an information book and reference guide for the institution’s academic programs, courses, policies, and procedures. Students are subject to the rules and regulations of the current catalog regardless of their original quarter of enrollment. The catalog, or any subsidiary handbook, is not intended as a contract between the student and the institution. This catalog is available online at www.south.edu. Alternative formats of this publication are available upon request. For more information, contact the Department of Admissions.
While the provisions of this catalog will ordinarily be applied as stated, the college reserves the right to change any provision/contents listed in this catalog, including but not limited to, academic requirements for graduation, without actual notice to individual students. Every effort will be made to keep students advised of any changes. Information on changes will be available in the office of the Registrar. It is especially important that students note that it is their responsibility to keep apprised of current graduation requirements for their particular program.
All academic information in this catalog applies to all South College campuses unless stated otherwise.
Additional specific information and policies relating to particular programs not included in the catalog can be found in the handbooks for these programs, which may be obtained from the Program Director or Dean/Chair for the program.
Each term a Schedule of Classes is made available to students. The Schedule includes all courses to be offered during the term, as well as times and locations. Not all courses listed in the catalog are offered each term. Students should be aware that courses may be offered in a variety of combined instructional modalities including (but not limited to) onground, online, blended/hybrid, and clinical/internship/externship/practicum/fieldwork/student teaching formats. Some programs may have limited program delivery options. Please see your Academic Advisor for additional information.
South College is an equal opportunity college open to any qualified individual without regard to race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability. Pursuant to all applicable federal anti-discrimination laws, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and regulations, South College does not discriminate against any of the protected categories of individuals in the administration of policies, programs, or activities. This nondiscrimination policy includes admission policies, loan programs, employment practices, and all other college-administered programs. The following individuals are charged with ensuring South College’s compliance with these laws:
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Main Campus & Parkside Campus) 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, TN 37909, Phone: (865) 293-4576;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Asheville Campus), 140 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville, NC 28803, Phone: (828) 398-2566;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Nashville Campus), 616 Marriott Drive, Suite 550, Nashville, TN 37214, Phone: (629) 802-3000;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Atlanta Campus), 2600 Century Parkway NE, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA 30345, Phone (470) 322-1200;
- Dean of Academics Online (Online), 3904 Lonas Drive, Knoxville, TN 37909, Phone (912) 272-8256;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Indianapolis Campus), 301 Pennsylvania Pkwy., Indianapolis, IN 46280, Phone (317) 819-7900;
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Orlando Campus), 4901 Vineland Rd., Suite 140, Orlando, FL 32811, Phone (407) 447-6900
- Dean of Academic and Student Services (Pittsburgh Campus), 3000 Westinghouse Dr., Suite 200, Pittsburgh, PA 16066, Phone (724) 720-9500
Institutions of higher education are in existence to provide learning experiences for their students. Academic freedom in teaching and learning is essential to this purpose and is fundamental for the protection of the rights of the students as well as the faculty members. Students at South College have the rights of freedom of inquiry and speech within their learning experiences. These rights are based on the assumption that students will act responsibly in the learning environment.
South College is committed to developing in each student an understanding of the knowledge and ethics that are consistent with responsible professional and social behavior. Students are expected to meet academic requirements as well as to develop a sense of personal responsibility toward others and respect for their individual rights. The atmosphere of the college reflects these goals, and in turn, each student must be aware of his/her individual responsibility to behave accordingly.
By enrolling as a student at South College, students agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the college. The Academic Honor Code is included in this Handbook, as well as Student Conduct Standards and Regulations which address student behavior. Alleged violations of the Academic Honor Code, Student Conduct Standards and Regulations, or the Computer Code of Ethics should be referred to the Director of Student Success or Student Affairs Coordinator/Director. Some areas of study have supplementary materials in programmatic policies and procedures manuals that students in these disciplines are responsible for as well as those in this Student Handbook. South College reserves the right to change any provision listed in the South College Catalog and all other college publications without actual notice to students.
- 9/19/23- The Physical Therapy, DPT program was added for the Nashville Campus starting Fall 2024.
- 9/13/23- The School of Rehabilitation Sciences was created and replaced the School of Physical Therapy.
- 9/6/23- The Medical Assisting, Phlebotomy Concentration, AS (Atlanta, Knoxville, & Nashville) , Medical Assisting, Phlebotomy Concentration, Certificate (Atlanta, Knoxville, & Nashville) , & Phlebotomy Technician, Certificate programs were added for the Atlanta Campus starting Fall 2023.
- 8/22/23- The Medical Assisting (Online), Certificate program was added for Online starting Winter 2024.
- 8/21/23- The Medical Office Administration, AS program was added for the Knoxville Campus and Online starting Winter 2024.
- 8/18/23- The Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate , Family Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate , & Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care (Post-Grad), Certificate curriculum was updated.
- 7/31/23- The Respiratory Therapy, AS program received approval from SACSCOC.
- 7/24/23- Starting with the Fall 2023 Quarter, the Information Technology Management, MS program will be offered in a Competency-based education (CBE) format.
- 7/14/23- The Psychology, MS program was added for Online starting Fall 2023 Quarter.
- 6/15/23- The Flexible Endoscope Reprocessor Technician, Certificate program was added for the Knoxville Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 6/12/23- The Phlebotomy Technician, Certificate program was added for the Knoxville and Nashville Campuses starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 6/12/23- The Adult Learning and Development, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) , Educational Leadership, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) , Higher Education Leadership, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) , Instructional Design and Technology, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) , Organizational Leadership, Certificate (Post-Doctoral-EdD) , & Teaching and Learning, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) programs were added for the Knoxville Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 6/12/23- The Accounting, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) Healthcare Administration, Certificate (Post-Doctoral) Organizational Leadership, Certificate (Post-Doctoral-DBA) programs were added for the Knoxville Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 6/8/23- The Respiratory Therapy, AS program was added for the Knoxville Campus starting Fall 2023 Quarter. The program is currently pending SACSCOC approval.
- 5/22/23- The Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical/Health Professions, Certificate program was added for Online starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 5/22/23- The Nursing, Hybrid/Online Option, BS (Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Orlando) program was added for the Atlanta Campus starting Fall 2023 Quarter.
- 5/19/23- The Health Science (Post-OTA), BS program was added and will be offered at the Knoxville, & Nashville campuses and Online starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 5/19/23- The Practical Nursing, Certificate program was added for the Asheville Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 5/19/23- The Pharmacy, PharmD curriculum was updated and is effective for students starting in Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 5/18/23- The Education, EdD with a specialization in Instructional Design & Technology was added to the catalog and will begin Fall 2023 Quarter.
- 5/18/23- The Academic Standards, Student Progress, and Grading section was updated for the Ministry, Doctor & Ministry, Master programs.
- 4/4/23- The Transfer of Credit policy was updated for the Business Administration, MBA program.
- 3/24/23- The Artificial Intelligence (AI) Policy was added to the Academic Information section.
- 3/22/23- The Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Post-Grad), Certificate and Pharmacy, PharmD program curriculum was updated.
- 3/20/23- The following programs were added: Business Administration, Healthcare Management Concentration, AS , Business Administration, Digital Marketing Concentration, AS , Business Administration, Entrepreneurship Concentration, AS , & Healthcare Administration, BS .
- 3/14/23- The Nursing, AS program was added for the Orlando Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 3/13/23- The Practical Nursing, Certificate (Pittsburgh) program was added for the Pittsburgh Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 3/9/23- The Sterile Processing Technician, Certificate program was added for the Knoxville Campus starting Summer 2023 Quarter.
- 2/27/23- For the Atlanta Campus only effective Spring 2023 Mid Quarter (5/10/23), a requirement that all applicants must successful meet the minimum TEAS Assessment score prior to starting pre-requisite coursework was added to the Practical Nursing, Certificate program.
- 2/27/23- The Refund Policy for Pennsylvania was added to the Financial Information section.
- 2/16/23- The following new programs were added: Emergency Management, AS , Emergency Management, BS , Instructional Design and Technology, MS , Psychology, AS , & Psychology, BS .
- 1/31/23- The program curriculum for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography, AS (Atlanta) at the Atlanta Campus was updated.
- 1/5/23- The Dental Hygiene, AS program updated it’s evaluation and grading policy.