South College is currently not accepting applications and admitting new students for this program.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Administration for Criminal Justice Professional is designed to provide criminal justice practitioners with the knowledge and skills necessary for the effective and efficient administration and management of public sector organizations and agencies with a public safety, homeland security, or social service focus. Students will be able to strengthen their understanding and skills to prepare them for leadership positions with an emphasis on budgeting, grant writing, strategic planning, and assessment.
The program is designed to be a fast-paced, focused and affordable option for criminal justice practitioners who may not be ready to commit to a full-length graduate program or may wish to pursue additional work in the area of public administration. It is in an online format to provide flexibility and to accommodate the schedules of working professionals. Coursework will be offered using interactive instructional software with an emphasis on collaboration and critical thinking. Students are required to earn a minimum grade of “C” in all coursework.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Administration for Criminal Justice Professionals is designed for online completion for full-time students in two (2) quarters depending on course load, though students may pursue courses on a part-time basis. Each of the six (6) courses required for the certificate program are consistent with those already required and offered in the Master of Science in Criminal Justice w/Concentration in Public Administration program. As such, students who decided to continue on to earn their master’s degree would need to complete the remaining six (6) courses in the program only.
In order to provide flexibility and to accommodate the schedules of working professionals, the coursework will be completed in a largely asynchronous online format using a learning management system. Course materials and assignments will emphasize collaboration, critical thinking, and student accountability.
Students completing this program will:
- Develop an advanced understanding the nature of public administration and its function with the American political system.
- Obtain knowledge of the principles theories and practices related to directing a public sector organization. Specifically:
- The principles and practices of organizational behavior and leadership.
- The knowledge and skills necessary to develop, administer and evaluate a public sector budget using contemporary financial practices, technologies and methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles legal environment affecting public sector management.
- The skills necessary to acquire, write, implement and assess public sector grants and publicly funded projects.
- An understanding of the concepts, principles and assessment practices involved in the strategic planning process in public sector organizations.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Administration for Criminal Justice Professionals program is offered Online.